February 28, 2008

Tres Rios Tequila Reposado

Photo provided

This brand is being fronted by Motley Crue rocker Vince Neil. Since I don't know Mr. Neil personally, why the company thinks that sort of advertising would induce me or anyone to buy a particular brand escapes me. However, I ignored that and evaluated the aged version on its own merits.

Tres Rios Tequila Reposado

Last March, this 80-proof tequila scored a bronze medal at the prestigious San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Not a gigantic honor, but a respectable start.

Likewise, I found it a very respectable reposado. Its perfumey nose smacks of its four months in oak barrels, with a slight smokiness mixing with its vanilla and apricot notes. Over a pair of ice cubes, Tres Rios opens quickly, revealing pungent middle notes and a soft finish on the throat.

Retail price is about $50.

Go back to Dowd On Drinks

No comments: